Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Final Project - Simulations - A Jean Baudrillard Inspired Piece


Synopsis: My photo book will emulate Baudrillard’s general concept of simulation through the medium of photography; Each photo will have a quote taken out of the direct context of the book and into that of the respective photo with the intent of adding another dimension of simulation. 

At times throughout this term I struggled to understand the language used in Simulations and found that I learned more about it (simulation) as a concept through the creative process rather than trying to follow along with Baudrillard's prose. While decipherable, I wasn't ever of the impression that I fully grasped what Baudrillard published. I think it is this reason that I decided to utilize the concept very broadly in the compilation of my final piece. Contrary to classmates projects, my work tended to lack a consistent sub-theme in the field of simulations. My insecure creative process led me to think of simulations very broadly. I think this was an important subconscious decision in strengthening my knowledge of art history as well as having confidence in producing work with value on my own. I think constructing a photo album and connecting it to quotes in Simulations fully details my growth as an artist/student this term. Im excited for whats next.

You can find a majority of my work here
If you wish to see a PDF of my final book please email me and I can give you access: patrick.j.omahoney@lawrence.edu


Thanks for following a long this term, 

Patrick 

1 comment:

  1. I really loved your work on this project, you have great sense of how to balance complex concept with beautifully simple visual aesthetics.

    ReplyDelete