Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Jonathon Gruber - A Reflection on His Process

Being introduced to Filmmaker Jonathon Gruber was a memorable experience. Unfortunately I was unable to attend the screening of his latest film, Miriam Beerman: A Painter's Journey, due to afternoon football practice however his attendance to class the following day provided an excellent opportunity to pick the brain of this well renowned filmmaker. I was particularly intrigued by his declaration of having many fluid and in the works ideas that he is working on. As a creator of film, I'm sure his brain is constantly jogging with new ideas and different directions to take. And he simply pursues them. I feel many workforces in the modern era requires people to always finish what they started and do everything possible to avoid distraction within the process. This is not a constraint amongst artists of all mediums and it must be a liberating feeling to have such freedom. As a person whose mind is always jumping around all over the place I could see myself particularly enjoying this aspect of the filmmaking field. Reflecting back to that day I can recall a half dozen times where Gruber would go off on a tangent and describe a particular work thats been on his mind. He'd share that he's been working on some of his ideas, collecting film and interviews, for well over a decade and that he was simply waiting for the right chance (lots of factors: interest, funding, etc.) to launch it into production. This may seem to some as an unorganized method or work process but it clearly works for Gruber and I could also see it working for me.

2 comments:

  1. I thought his process was inspiring, too. I think it would be great to be able to work like that. Would you ever pursue a career like this? I always find it comforting when someone has the same process or way of thinking as you do that maybe you thought was "unorganized" and they show you how well it can actually work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who generally does have a lot of ideas in my head at once, I definitely prefer a more free type of creative process. However, I have also found that it's good for me to have a balance between freedom and structure, because without any structure I end up abandoning a lot of my ideas completely.

    ReplyDelete