Thursday, October 8, 2015

Photo Album: Capturing Practice and Campus

I struggled with this assignment. I enjoy taking photos and think I have a keen eye for what looks pleasing and what doesn't, however I found myself lacking inspiration for venues to shoot photos. Back home (Chicago) a photographer is required to do very little to find moments worth capturing on camera. Whether it be through the diversity of people and activities that makes for great interactive shots or the pure aesthetics of both the skyline and Lake Michigan, there are many opportunities for the street photographer to take stimulating shots. Here however I found myself trying to make photos look interesting which resulted in forcing it too much. I then decided it would be best to record images from my practice as that would at least carry some action. Taking photos of football practice turned out to give me lots of trouble when it came to editing. With our new turf field, most of the shots consisted on a solid mono color green background. This forced me into editing pictures in their entirety rather than specific areas. Editing one portion of the image would result in a different shade of green that would really throw off the entire dynamic of the photo in a unsalvageable way. The next day I found more success in capturing natural images around campus. In particular I enjoyed the image of the paper mills from behind the Viking Room. Editing out the background to black and white and keeping the nature in full color (via the lasso tool) was a very rewarding experience. This was a nice change of pace in contrast to the struggles I faced editing our football field.

It was enjoyable to make a fairly standard photo have a deeper meaning through editing.

Link To Flickr Page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/136833366@N03/shares/XC0z21

No comments:

Post a Comment