Thursday, November 12, 2015

Friedrich Nietzsche - Understanding One of The Least Understood Philosophers

It has often been said that, despite being one of the most well-known, Friedrich Nietzsche is one of the most misunderstood philosophers. In my research I looked to get a better understanding of some of Nietzsche's stances, including his claim in Marshall McLuhan's The Medium is the Massage that "God is dead". Unpacking this sweeping claim I came across many different positions and understandings of what exactly Nietzsche meant. Some wrote him off as a nihilist (rejection of all religious or moral principles, and the belief that life is meaningless), and while it was a concept Nietzsche entertained, it was ultimately wide of the mark. While Nietzsche undoubtedly had a distaste for the current state of religion, he did not have a belief that life was meaningless. In fact, he even orchestrated an ideology on how individuals can live a world with morals yet without a belief in the otherworldly. This concept is called an Ubermensch (closely translated: overman). I struggled to wrap my head around this idea entirely but I can say for certain that man who is an Ubermensch is a man that will "remain faithful to earth and don’t believe those who speak to you of otherworldy hopes." Ultimately Nietzsche's message and how it relates to McLuhan and Art is the belief that religion among other things is outdated and holds society down rather than pushing them forward


1 comment:

  1. I had some trouble wrapping my head around this at first, but I felt like your presentation broke it down in a way that was more understandable. When I think of Nietzsche's statement "God is dead" and apply it to McLuhan, all I can think of is how we've found a new god in all of our technological innovations.

    ReplyDelete